Monday, April 13, 2009

The unglamorous life of an intern



I always dreamt of working for a magazine and after months of emailing I finally got an internship at a magazine. Intern = no pay and loads of dirty work.
The mag needed help in two departments, marketing and beauty, and I had to choose one. I choose marketing because I wasn't all that that interested in beauty + the beauty editor was scary and intimidating. She always looked at me over the rims of her glasses and the tea I so kindly made for her was never to her taste. Even though working for a magazine was not as glamorous as I expected it to be, I instantly new that this was where I belonged. I HAD to stay! I took my dad’s advice to ‘make myself indispensable” and did all the dirty work – carrying magazines (extremely heavy if you stack them), spoke to unhappy readers on the phone and my ultimate worst: filing – with such enthusiasm that the editor could not help but notice me.

1 comment: