Saturday, April 18, 2009

The shoot: Post Mortem

After the shoot the packing up had to begin. For a stylist – or stylist’s assistant like moa at the time - this is definitely the worst part of the job. You have to make sure that nothing is damaged, dirty or missing in action and put them all in the right bags.
These are the tricks/lessons Stylist taught me one my first shoot.

1. Always hold a silk scarf in front of the models faces to prevent their make-up from rubbing off on the clothes when you are dressing them. This is also a great trick for brides.


2. Wipe some benzene over the soles of the shoes to remove the sticky residue from the tape.
3. Wet wipes are your best friend. It’s great for removing make-up or stains from clothing. This is also a great everyday trick. I always have the good intention to keep a small pack in my handbag for my everyday emergencies – spilling make-up on my jacket right before a client meeting etc. - but I somehow always end up not having it in my handbag. I am very good at preaching, but not practicing!


That day I also bought my first item on a shoot and started a habit I just can’t seem to kick; I still shop at shoots. I bought the most beautiful pare of ballet pumps, complete with satin ribbons to tie up at your ankles. It was love at first sight. I didn’t care that Stylist said it makes my feet look fat, I thought it looked pretty. I still have them in my cupboard and always think of my first shoot when I see them. Unfortunately I can’t wear them anymore; I was dumb enough to wear them to an outdoors rock fest. Who the hell wears light pink ballet pumps with satin ribbons (and fishnet stockings!) to a muddy, outdoors rock fest! I vaguely remember thoughts of going for the “grungy ballerina look” when dressing. Ha-ha, assisting Stylist on one shoot clearly went to my head. At least I felt very cool that night; unfortunately my pretty pumps didn’t survive.

My Cinderella pumps: worn and torn, but still loved!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I love them too! I was trying to channel Kate Moss when I went to my last rock concert... Sadly micro minis and thigh high boots were NOT an option for the sitting flat on your ass in the summer heat situation. How does she do it? Does she have her own personal lounge area in which to pose and look cool? Must find out!

    ReplyDelete