Sunday, April 26, 2009

My disastrous first beauty launch

Scary Beauty Editor was sick and emailed Business Manager to ask her whether she would attend a Fancy Brand launch on her behalf and send me to a Cheap Brand launch. Fancy Brand’s invite specifically stated that only editors were invited – no assistants. When Business Manager told me this I was over the moon! I couldn’t care less about the brand, it was my first launch. Business Manager gave me the date, time and venue for the launch. It was at a fancy five-star hotel I’ve never been to. I dressed up in my pretty red vintage coat and even put some mascara and lipstick on for the launch. When I arrived, the Marketing Director of Fancy Brand, welcomed me, and not exactly with a big smile. Oh no, no, no!!! Business Manager mixed-up the launches. I wanted to melt away but couldn’t leave. It was only Editors, Beauty Editors and Fancy Brand staff at the launch. I didn’t know anyone, no one spoke to me and I was too shy to speak to anyone since I didn’t really understand the beauty language they spoke. I was standing around, trying to look not out off place and felt very self-conscious. My vintage coat turned into a second hand coat, my skin felt dry and flaky and I was very aware of the fact that my nails are not manicured. As luck would have it I was seated opposite Fancy Brand Marketing Director. I couldn’t help but stare at his forehead that didn’t ever move. He did look up while I stared at him and I spilt my soup on my lap while he was looking at me. It was turning into the worst day of my life! Luckily Kind Editor felt sorry for me and started speaking to me. I am still grateful and vowed to always be nice to new, shy beauty assistants, no matter what my position. The rest of the launch was very interesting. We all rubbed Fancy Brand’s expensive new creams on the back of our hands and went ooh and aah (I just copied whatever the others were doing since I didn’t have a clue!). I was really excited about everything and the Fancy Brand Marketing Manager even gave me a smile! Thank goodness. Even though I am a beauty editor now and relatively important to Fancy Brand Marketing Manager I still feel like a self-conscious beauty assistant whenever I see him.

2 comments:

  1. I teach middle school... and am always reminded of the ways the lesser people (younger, less important, less wealthy) are treated by others. I'm so glad that you still remember this even where you are now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture you in the corner in your little red coat, shame darling! But you survived it and now you can be the Kind Editor to all the other young newbies... the cycle of life!

    ReplyDelete